Friday, January 14, 2011

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin

Find this book at your library

Read more reviews at NoveList

Genre - General fiction

Baba Segi is a very happy man. He has three wives and seven children and all is good at home. Then he invites Bolanle to be wife number four. She unwittingly becomes the catalyst for major change in the family. What began as a bit of a lighthearted romp, soon changed into a much more substantial story.

---- Reviewed by Judy, Rowville

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. It started off as a comedy and ended up being one of the most stirring books I'd ever read.
I was puzzled by the ending at first, I wanted it to be a little happier. Then I read an article Shoneyin wrote for the Guardian. 33% of the women in her country, Nigeria, are in polygamous marriages so there's not a lot to be optimistic about.
It was a great read. I loved the grittiness of the language and the characters stayed with me for a long time.